Here is a decadent caramel apple cheesecake recipe from Paula Dean that I have modified below to be gluten-free. It is sure to impress if you have guests over or want to bring something yummy to a neighborhood get-together. No one will suspect that a dessert this tasty could ever be gluten-free.
- 1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling (Comstock’s More Fruit Apple Pie filling is gluten-free)
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust (make the 3 ingredient Gluten-Free Pie Crust)
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon GF vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup caramel topping (Try Robert Rothchild Farm’s Old Fashion Carmel which is gluten-free)
- 12 pecan halves, plus 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Reserve 3/4 cup of the apple filling; set aside. Spoon the remaining filling into the crust. Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well. Pour this over the pie filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set. Cool to room temperature.
Mix the reserved pie filling and caramel topping in a small saucepan and heat for about 1 minute, or until spreadable. Spoon the apple-caramel mixture over the top of the cheesecake and spread evenly. Decorate the edge of the cake with pecan halves and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.