As I’ve mentioned before, I’m pregnant with my first child (yay!!!) so I am avoiding seafood. I miss my shrimp and salmon dinners desperately, but luckily have found some awesome chicken dinner dishes that keep things interesting, flavorful, and of course, gluten-free.
Try this super-tasty Ginger Chicken & Veggie Stir-Fry recipe from Shine.com sometime this week:
· 1-1/4 cup sliced zucchini (1 medium)
· 1/2 cup sliced carrot (1 medium)
· 1/2 cup sliced onion (1 medium)
· 1 small red sweet pepper cut into strips (3/4 cup)
· 2-1/2 cups shredded green cabbage (about half of a small cabbage head)
· 1 tablespoon cooking oil or peanut oil
· 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or turkey tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
· 1/2 cup stir-fry sauce (see my recipe for this below)
· 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
· 3 to 4 cups hot cooked jasmine or brown rice
· 3/4 cup chopped cocktail peanuts or cashews
*Use organic ingredients when you can to make a tastier, better-for-you version of this dish!
I forgot the carrots when I tried this recipe for myself (as you can see in the photo), but I wish I hadn’t! They’d make an excellent addition to this dish- taste-wise and visually too!
1. In a 12-inch skillet or wok cook and stir half of the zucchini, carrot, onion, pepper, and cabbage in hot oil over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from the skillet. Repeat with remaining vegetables; remove from the skillet.
2. If necessary, add more oil to the hot skillet. Add chicken to the skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Push chicken from center of the skillet. Add stir-fry sauce and ginger to center of the wok. Cook and stir until bubbly. Return the vegetables to the skillet. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until chicken-vegetable mixture is coated and heated through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle servings with chopped peanuts. Makes 6 servings.
Gluten-Free Stir-Fry Sauce
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 c. gluten-free soy sauce
1/4 c. cider vinegar
2 c. gluten-free chicken or beef broth
1/2 c. water
Combine first 3 ingredients. Add soy sauce and vinegar. Shake until blended. Add broth and water. Shake. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. May be frozen.
Ps. Buy and use chopsticks with this dish for a little extra fun! 🙂
-Glamour & Green Gluten-Free